ENGLISH Learn at Home packs: Week 4 - Poems using expanded nouns phrases
and commas in lists correctly.
The ‘timetable’ for this week’s teaching and learning is as follows
- Day 1 – Children can read the poem and reflect on it, using the prompts provided. They can then watch the splendid BBC video clip of Jo Coelho’s tips for performing poems, and practice performing the poem read earlier.
- Day 2 – Provide some input using the PowerPoint presentation on Expanded Noun Phrases. If children can access this in PowerPoint, they will hear the voice-over teaching. Read another Coelho poem, identify noun phrases, then learn part of their favourite poem and perform it.
- Day 3 – Children write describe a place that they find special, using expanded noun phrases to describe it. They watch Coelho’s wonderful advice on writing a poem, and use this to produce their own poem about their special place.
- Day 4 – Provide some input using the PowerPoint presentation on the use of commas. If children can access this in PowerPoint, they will hear the voice-over teaching. Read a report about School Uniform and identify arguments for/against, writing sentences using commas to separate clauses.
- Day 5 – Provide some input using the PowerPoint presentation on Commas in Lists or children might access this and get the teaching. They then add commas to lists. Finally, they design their own school uniform and write a description, using commas correctly in their writing.
This information is contained in the 'introduction notes' document.